Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Random musings on a Tuesday morning...

Well, it's Tuesday and I am at work, it's the last day of school for the kids, so there is pandemonium all around, and not much work to do, so I thought I would write.

I am going to write about the routine I am currently doing. I like to experiment (well, that's what I call it anyway) with lots of different types of routines. I don't think any one is better than any other one, they are just all different. A lot of people tell me that I am never settled with anything in my life, so I guess this is just an extension of that.

Anyway, currently, I am toying around with a type of split I have never done before. It is basically a lower/push/pull split, and I have devised 2 different workouts for each type. The premise is that there is one power movement done for 3x3 each workout, then a repetition range movement done for 3x6-8 each workout, then a drop set with yet another movement. Some days have some random extras at the end like abs or biceps, but that is the general plan. I separated each main workout into 2 different workouts with slightly different layouts. for example, the push workout has one day where the power movement is horizontal plane and the second day the power is vertical plane. Same for pull, and lower has a quad dominant power on one day and a hamstring dominant on the other. It lays out quite nicely actually:
Lower 1
Deadlifts 3x3
1 leg squats 3x6-8
hypers or barbell SLDL drop set with 3 drops

Lower 2
Trap bar squats 3x3
1 leg SLDL 3x6-8
Leverage Squats drop set w/ 3 drops

Push 1
Decline Bench Press 3x3
DB Shoulder Press 3x6-8
Close grip bench press drop set w/ 3 drops
abs 2 sets

Push 2
Overhead Press 3x3
DB bench press 3x6-8
Dips drop set w/3 drops
abs 2 sets

Pull 1
Pendlay Rows 3x3
Pullups 3x6-8
Chest Supported Rows drop set w/3 drops
hammer curls 2 sets

Pull 2
Chinups 3x3
DB Rows 3x6-8
Upright rows drop set w/3 drops
hammer preacher curls 2 sets

No comments: