Monday, June 11, 2007

The Beginning

OK, so everyone else has a blog, so it's time for me to have one too. The purpose of this blog is going to be to just put down my random thoughts and experiences on my quest to become a fitness professional. I guess I will highlight my highs and lows on my quest.

right now, I am a network administrator for a school district. I have a seven month old son and my wife is a teacher. She took the year off to be with the baby, but must return to work in September, and being a teacher in NY, she makes a lot of $$$$, so she is the breadwinner of the family. Yes, a teacher in NY makes more $$$ than a network admin, at least for a school district!

So, being we do not want to spend over HALF of MY salary on child support come September, we decided that I would stay home with the baby starting in September, so yes, I am resigning from my position. The ultimate goal however, is to turn this into a positive as I will try to get my certification in training and look into getting into the profession in some way.

This is the beginning of my quest. The certification I have targeted is the NSCA CSCS cert. Perhaps foolishly, I don't know yet, but I understand it as the grand daddy of all certs, so why not go for the best, I am sure it holds more clout than a personal trainer cert, even if I wind up personal training to begin. Maybe some day, I would love to be a trainer for a team, or a strength coach somewhere important, but that is a while away.

I have been training now for over 13 years, but I admit, it wasn't only until about 5 years ago that I got REALLY serious about things, and started doing things "the right way", ie, training legs (yep I was one of those guys). I consider myself somewhere between intermediate and advanced on the scale of training experience.

I like to try a lot of different things, so this could be a place for me to discuss why I did a certain thing. It will also be a place to discuss some things that I have learned along the way, and I will discuss my progress in my studying for the cert exam. I just got my textbook in the mail today, so now I can begin the process of reading, reading and more reading!

Stay tuned!!!

No comments: