Thursday, June 21, 2007

Goals, goals, goals.....

A post by a message board buddy of mine today really got me thinking. He said he wanted a new routine, but needed a goal. It made me wonder, what the hell are my goals? And to be honest, I can't really answer that. Some days I want to conquer the world and lift massive weight, the next day I want to be as big as I can be. OK, so you can somewhat achieve both, but I'm sure it is better to concentrate on one or the other if that is what you choose to do.

Some days I want to bench press 400 pounds and deadlift 500, so I come up with a workout scheme to get me there, and inevitably, it winds up lasting only maybe a week or so, cause then I will check myself out in a picture or the mirror and say to myself that I want to be bigger (regardless of whether or not I am big already to begin with, and at 5'10" 225 pounds and maybe 15%BF, I probably already am).

Realistically, the best thing for me to do right now is probably concentrate on a size gaining routine, being my sleep isn't optimal right now with my little 7 month old keeping me from full night's sleep every night, and I don't think I have slept 8 continuous hours since he was born, but I digress.

I am sure high intensity lifting is not the best thing for me with my less than optimal recovery ability right now, regardless of how my nutrition is going. Straining for one rep maxes sounds fun, but sometimes I definitely feel it. I would probably be better served by doing relatively heavy, multiple, low rep sets to get a hypertrophy effect and also keep the weights somewhat heavy to get the best of both worlds, which today anyway, lol, is what I am leaning towards

No comments: